Most obvious word that comes right after hearing term mobile phones. What’s your android version? Mine is Pie and what’s yours? Wanna know things that you must know about android?
Android is the most essential software platform that runs in more than 80% of today’s mobile phones. Just like the Windows operating system- for a computer system, Android is the operating system for mobile phones. Android is the essential software which covers the functionality of mobile device both inside and outside; like software and hardware interface, provide an environment for running application, direct processor and graphics and there’s a long list. Android provides an environment for running software (Android apps) by providing memory, hardware access. Android is used by almost every mobile companys and it’s open source. Top list includes samsung, google pixel, huawei, oneplus etc.
( Did you know? Android was first developed as software for cameras. Later on it was used as operating system for mobile phones. Now we even find display(tv monitor) running on android.)
Ever since 2008 when android was introduced, it has been going through lots of software improvements(updates). With each major update comes new version. Here is the list of different android versions with their release date with code names:
- Android version 1.0 (no codename) -September 23, 2008
- Petit Four (version 1.1) -February 9, 2009
- Cupcake (version 1.5) -April 27, 2009
- Donut (version 1.6) -September 15, 2009
- Eclair (version 2.0 – 2.1) -October 26, 2009
- Froyo (version 2.2 – 2.2.3) -May 20, 2010
- Gingerbread (version 2.3 – 2.3.7) -December 6, 2010
- Honeycomb (version 3.0 – 3.2.6) -February 22, 2011
- Ice Cream Sandwich (version 4.0 – 4.0.4) -October 18, 2011
- Jelly Bean (version 4.1- 4.3.1) -July 9, 2012
- Kitkat (version 4.4 – 4.4.4) -October 31, 2013
- Lollipop (version 5.0 – 5.1.1) -November 12, 2014
- Marshmallow (version 6.0 – 6.0.1) -October 5, 2015
- Nougat (version 7.0 – 7.1.2) -August 22, 2016
- Oreo (version 8.0 – 8.1) -August 21, 2017
- Pie (version 9.0) -August 6, 2018
(DID you know: Android code names come in the alphabetical order. Currently it’s Android Pie i.e.P.) What do you think will be the next code?
I-OS THIS AND ANDROID THAT!!!!
Just like android, Ios is operating system software for apple devices. So, both of them have similar functionality. But, there’s a difference in terms of apps they support. IOS supports only apple apps whereas android supports only android apps. So, when they get into each other’s way they both don’t run at all. Difference can also be set up in the manner that both are coded differently. The core Android source code is known as Android Open Source Project (AOSP).
Android Inc. was bought by GOOGLE in 2005.